Sunday 17 October 2010

Porcupine Tree at the Royal Albert Hall

Perhaps not surprisingly, Thursday was the first time I'd ever been to the Royal Albert Hall. I say not surprisingly because over the last 32 years of gig going the bands I go and see are not the sort of bands that play the RAH. However, that is changing as Opeth of all bands played there in April - and don't ask me how I came to miss that, I'm still not sure myself - and here we are on 14th October 2010 and Porcupine Tree have sold out. Pretty impressive for a band most people haven't heard of. Obviously, that's a sweeping generalisation but frankly its generally true.

I had a rotten journey there, having to abandon the tube in favour of a black cab and then abandoning that halfway through Regent's Park because of the traffic. I was getting anxious because the PT web site had said they would be on stage at 7.45. I finally sat down in my seat at 7.41 and would you believe it, at 7.45pm on the dot, according to my mobile, the lights dimmed and on walked Steven Wilson and the rest of Porcupine Tree. As soon as they started I realised what a venue with great acoustics sounds like. You don't get this in Koko or the Scala or even, to be honest, in the Hammersmith Apollo. And certainly not Wembley blinkin' Arena.

PT played for 3 and a quarter hours, with two short breaks, and were absolutely splendid. The whole thing was a joy, apart from the guy behind me pouring his Guinness down my back. Gavin Harrison, the drummer, is one of the great modern rock drummers and I was in awe, as ever.

As I walked out I couldn't help but wish that Rush would play at the Royal Albert Hall. I think I might suggest it to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment