Thursday 23 February 2012

Review of The Shadows Compendium by Stephan Forte

Stephan Forte is the main man in Adagio, one of the leading lights of the neo-classically tinged metal genre. He is a technically stellar guitarist and boy does he want you to know it.

Widdle widdle widdle widdle widdle all the way through this album.

It almost seems churlish of me to point it out but playing a thousand notes a minute does not a great song make. (This whole album is instrumental but you get my drift.)

All the tracks are accomplished and utterly forgettable the moment they finish. In fact, they achieve the impossible. They are forgettable while you're still listening to them.

With reference to a previous blog of mine, I am happy to inform you that I listened to this album three times before completing my review.

Once would have been enough.

PS If you're thinking this is too short and too blunt, don't worry about it. Anything I say won't make a blind bit of difference to fans of this kind of stuff. Which is just as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment