Sunday 26 February 2012

Review of Astral Mantras of Dyslexia by Funeral In Heaven/Plecto Aliquem Capite

Now, if you're familiar with any of the above two bands then I apologise for telling you something you're already aware of. But I suspect, like me, you will not know them and thus a bit of background might help.

This is a line from the press release: Sri Lanka’s psychotic auditory terrorists and the legionaries of the 666th battalion of the Raavan cult have congregated to create, manifest and aid world spiritual warfare.

Okay, got that?

Me neither.

Basically, I think it means two bands have got together to make an unholy racket. I can't work out whether they all play on all the songs or whether they've got three each and then just link up on the last track.

Either way, I'll try and give you a flavour of what the whole thing sounds like.

The first track is mainly Sri Lankan ethnic instruments with, possibly, some guitars right at the back giving an extra layer. Its actually really quite agreeable although I've never been a fan of world music for longer than five minutes at a time.

The next track is more obvious slow-paced black metal with some chanting and familiar screeching vocals in the background. Again, its moderately interesting although it has made its case by about the 5 minute mark but actually lasts over 12.

Third track is a grinding heavy riff working with some ethnic drums and more chanting. Then it surprises me with some genuine vocals. Not quite singalong but getting there. Some really nice guitar work later in the track, too.

The fourth track I presume is played by some kind of violin-sounding Sri Lankan instrument. It might simply just be a violin, of course. Some information on the press release might have been a better idea, rather than some weird stream of consciousness blurb.

The fifth track is the "infamous" Stoned Guru Ramblings and a more accurate track title you could not hope to find, although I have no idea why it is "infamous". Again, why not use the press release to explain some stuff?

This track is almost the auditory version of a snuff movie. Some people might find that diverting. It kinda washed over me though.

We get more of the same on the final two tracks. They are not without merit but by now I'm beginning to think I need to get some ironing done.

So, a not wholly unpleasant experience. Probably sounds weird and scary in headphones but it does go on a bit. If you're into your black metal and shit then I'd give it a go, but I wish these bands could be more informative in a press release rather than read like a tormented teenager's effort in creative writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment